It hits you like a ton of bricks. An awful smell that seems to be coming from the general direction of your child. Welcome to the next phase of growing up: developing body odor. You’re about to go from buying bubble bath to buying safe chemical free deodorant for your child, and it all happens in the blink of an eye.
So is your kid normal? Can they possibly be ready for deodorant when they just learned how to tie their shoes yesterday (or, so it seems)? Thankfully… yes!
Typically, body odor can begin to develop as early as 7 years old in girls, and 9 years old in boys, as the body hits puberty. Suddenly, your child is beginning to sweat more and sweat specifically from what are called the “apocrine sweat glands,” glands in the armpit and groin region.
Prior to puberty sweat comes from eccrine sweat glands that usually secrete mostly water and help with cooling, explains pediatrician Dr. Carol Wilkinson, medical director of Kinsights. “When puberty hits, apocrine sweat glands kick into action and start secreting an oily substance that bacterial love. It’s the bacteria that naturally grow on our skin that digest this oily substance and leads to the smelly body odor we are familiar with.”
Hence the reason your sweaty toddler didn’t stink. But once the body makes that change, there is no going back. It’s why Wilkinson suggests parents help their kids combat the underarm odor.
That means controlling both the bacteria and the sweat. Some tips from the experts to keep your kid stink-free:
1. Make sure your kids bathe daily, and make sure they wash … with soap!
2. An extra armpit rinse with a washcloth right before bed (for morning bathers) can do wonders to fight the bacteria.
3. Wash clothes frequently to fight bacteria.
4. Dress kids in cotton and wool clothing, which allows the skin to breathe.
5. Try baby powder. It can keep the pits dry and help prevent the smell.
6. Buy deodorant. If the baby powder isn’t enough, the next step is deodorant … but make sure it’s just plain deodorant. Not antiperspirant.
(source, Jeanne Sager, Health Check)
Fresh Kidz is a safe, chemical free deodorant designed specifically for younger, more sensitive skin, and works by fighting the bacteria that causes body odor. Keep it simple, mild and Safe… Fresh Kidz!